Annual Physical Examinations
High Tide Internal Medicine provides annual physical examinations for patients to have their overall health checked each year. This examination is an important part of preventive care, as well as an opportunity for you to discuss any current issues or health concerns you may have with your physician. During your physical examination your healthcare provider will look at your:
- Medical History: This is your opportunity to mention any issues or health concerns that you may currently have, and this is also your provider’s opportunity to learn about your personal and family medical history, your lifestyle and behaviors, and your vaccination status. Questions you can expect include those about smoking habits, alcohol use, sexual health, diet, and exercise.
- Vital Signs: Your vital signs will be checked during your examination to make sure everything is normal. This includes your blood pressure, heart rate, respiration rate, and temperature.
- General Appearance: By watching and talking to you, your provider can gather a lot of information about your general health. They will pay attention to your memory and mental quickness, the appearance of your skin, how easily you can stand and walk, and more.
- Heart Exam: Your provider will listen to your heart with a stethoscope, monitoring for signs of an irregular heartbeat, a heart murmur, or other indicators of heart disease.
- Lung Exam: Using a stethoscope, your provider will listen to your lungs while you inhale and exhale, monitoring for crackles, wheezes, or decreased breath sounds that could indicate heart or lung disease.
- Head and Neck Exam: Your provider will ask you to open your mouth and say “ah,” which helps to show them your throat and tonsils, and they will also visually take note of the quality of your teeth and gums. Your provider will also visually examine your eyes, ears, and nose, and physically examine your neck in order to assess the health of your sinuses, lymph nodes, thyroid, and carotid arteries.
Physical examinations are a critical part of maintaining your overall health. Contact your insurance provider to determine your physical examination coverage, then call High Tide Internal Medicine at (843) 580-7206 to schedule an appointment for your annual exam.